Healthier Green Bean Casserole
- 2.5 lbs. green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 3 tbs. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2.5 cups low fat milk
- 1.5 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- Pre heat oven to 425.
- Toss green beans in bowl with1 tablespoon olive oil and divide into two baking sheets. Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add flour and salt. Add milk and keep stirring until sauce is thick (about 4 minutes).
- Once green beans are done being roasted. Preheat oven to broil.
- Transfer half green beans to baking sheet then cover with half the sauce. Layer other half of green beans and cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Combine bread crumbs and remaining oil into a small bowl and sprinkle over green beans.
- Place green beans in the oven on broil for 1-4 minutes, watch until breadcrumbs become brown at the top. Let sit for 10 minutes.